IBERODEER, detection of Iberian purity in deer DNA
In the Iberian Peninsula, the Iberian deer (Cervus elaphus hispanicus) is the only native subspecies, but the growing economic interest of big game in Spain has led to the introduction of animals mainly from European populations (considered exotic).
Therefore, it was mandatory to carry out DNA tests on deer trophies hunted after 2012 and which will be included in the top five of the national classification.
By means of molecular techniques that analyze the DNA, the presence of exotic genes for the Iberian deer is detected, and therefore it can be determined if its trophy is homologous
Sabiotec works with the research group Congen-CIBIO, a pioneer in population genetics of wild species. IBERODEER is for:
- Deer farms that want to certify the Iberian purity of their breeders and therefore make their offspring suitable for release to the environment without the need for subsequent DNA tests.
- Hunting farms that want to certify the Iberian status of their deer populations.
- A Public administrations that want to control the genetics of deer movements, as established by legislation.
- Hunters who want to homologate their deer trophies.
Why choose IBERODEER?
- Reliability: DWe have the largest database of Iberian deer genetics that exists
- Sturdiness: We work with a certified laboratory and also perform internal controls
- Scientific validity: We publish the methodology we use: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0210282
- Minimally invasive for live animals.