We work on three axes of animal health
Promote wild populations in balance with the environment to ensure their sustainability
Act in the prevention and control of diseases that affect wildlife or generate conflicts
Evaluate the genetics of wild populations and improve it with genetic and reproductive tools
Our services are based on the research we develop with our collaborators
Management of health problems in wildlife
dentifying, preventing and controlling health problems in hunting populations is essential for sustainable and profitable management. That is why we help our clients to identify, prevent and control diseases that affect their wildlife populations.
With good health management we avoid mortalities (sometimes massive), improve reproductive rates, and also improve the use of resources and the quality of trophies.
- Epidemiological surveillance plans
- Health improvement and disease control plans
The projects we work on can range from a farm to large areas. In all of them we perform:
For disease control we develop products that administered orally prevent infections such as tuberculosis.
They work with us: Navarra, Cantabria
We develop health plans and improvement programs for hunting farms
The new regulations developed by the Ministry of Agriculture will require that fenced hunting farms necessarily have a health plan, associated with the hunting plan.
In Sabiotec we develop this type of health plans, so that they are not a mere administrative procedure, but we give a value to the plan so that it becomes an investment to improve the farm.
Therefore, we work side by side with managers to improve genetics, population and health status in hunting grounds.
We do things like
- Determination of nutritional status in ungulates
- Census and density estimates
- Management of sustainable catch quotas
- Trophy valuation: improvement guidelines
- Risk analysis of diseases that affect wildlife populations
- Monitoring of health and population indicators
We develop biosecurity programs against tuberculosis
It is necessary to increase biosecurity in extensive farms where contact with wildlife is likely due to the risk of tuberculosis transmission. To this end, we design biosecurity programs against wildlife, adapted for each livestock farm.
We design preventive measures aimed at maintaining control of risk factors for tuberculosis.
The objective of our biosecurity programs is that they are:
- Efectivos: you must minimize direct / indirect contacts..
- Practical: must be realizable by the farmer.
- Profitable: the measures are an investment that decreases the risk of tuberculosis infection and therefore this results in a better profitability of the exploitation.
- Realistic: 100% risks cannot be eliminated, the objective is to reduce them as much as possible.
#we have worked with: ASAJA Córdoba, CICAP
Analysis of the environmental presence of microbacteria
Environmental contamination with the mycobacteria of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis Complex (MTC, which causes tuberculosis) can play a very important role in the spread of tuberculosis. The survival of these bacteria in the environment can be months if certain conditions occur.
PTherefore, thanks to the collaboration with VISAVET, we have developed a system to detect these bacteria that cause tuberculosis, in the environment.
ESTUGA is a rapid system for the detection of the bacteria that causes tuberculosis in environmental samples of livestock farms. With this we can know if the bacteria is present and therefore if there is a riesgo of animals becoming infected.
This makes it possible to manage the risk of a possible tuberculosis infection much better, and among other things:
- Know the areas of the farm with the highest risk of infection
- Perform prevention work against TB on the farm
- Certify the absence of the bacteria after a sanitary emptying
Census of wildlife species
In order to manage a population of fauna, it is essential to know their numbers and their structure of sexes and ages. In Sabiotec we use proven census methods, published and accepted by the international scientific community
Allows comparison between farms, years, treatments, etc. (possibility to easily compare some results with others obtained by the same procedure).
- We can use the data for health plans.
- ABeing contrasted and published methods, you can use them with public administrations.
- They have lower staff cost and effort than the estimate of absolute numbers.
IBERODEER: We certify the Iberian genetic purity of the deer
IBERODEER, Detection of Iberian purity in deer DNA
In the Iberian Peninsula, the Iberian deer (Cervus elaphus hispanicus) is the only native subspecies, but the growing economic interest of big game in Spain has led to the introduction of animals mainly from European populations (considered exotic).
Therefore, it was mandatory to carry out DNA tests on deer trophies hunted after 2012 and which will be included in the top five of the national classification.
By means of molecular techniques that analyze the DNA, the presence of exotic genes for the Iberian deer is detected, and therefore it can be determined if its trophy is homologous
Sabiotec works with the research group Congen-CIBIO, a pioneer in population genetics of wild species. IBERODEER is for:
- Deer farms that want to certify the Iberian purity of their breeders and therefore make their offspring suitable for release to the environment without the need for subsequent DNA tests.
- Hunting farms that want to certify the Iberian status of their deer populations.
- A Public administrations that want to control the genetics of deer movements, as established by legislation.
- Hunters who want to homologate their deer trophies.
Why choose IBERODEER?
- Reliability: DWe have the largest database of Iberian deer genetics that exists
- Sturdiness: We work with a certified laboratory and also perform internal controls
- Scientific validity: We publish the methodology we use: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0210282
- Minimally invasive for live animals.
We do genetic studies in wildlife
Knowing the genetic status of a population of ungulates, especially deer, is an essential tool for the improvement of trophies of a preserve and especially before introducing new animals, so that you can get the most out of that introduction and therefore make profitable much better investment
Through CIBIO's genetic tools, we can study characters that concern farm managers such as genetic variability and consanguinity
We provide services and improvement programs for hunting farms
Hunting farms need specialized support to be more competitive in an increasingly demanding market.
From Sabiotec we give tools and advise the farms in:
- Health. We diagnose tuberculosis in deer and wild boar, by intradermal test (tuberculin) and in serum, respectively.
- Genetics. The selection of the best breeding animals is essential for a good management of a deer farm. For this we have genetic tools such as:
- Paternity Assignment
- Inbreeding Analysis
- Iberian deer certification