The red chicken mite, Dermanyssus gallinae (red chicken mite), is an ectoparasite that is considered the worst pest in the laying poultry sector. It feeds in the dark on the blood of chickens, but it can also affect humans both in their workplace and in public buildings. It produces serious economic losses and affects the health and well-being of the hens, as well as being vectors of diseases. The mite has developed resistance to commonly used pesticides so other control measures are necessary.
Through molecular techniques, mite proteins have been identified that can be used as vaccines. The development of vaccines is a very promising option by not developing resistance and reducing the use of pesticides in the environment.
The ACAROVAC project works for the development of vaccine candidates against infestations by Dermanyssus gallinae (red chicken mite).
This project was born under the Aid for Industrial Doctorates of the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness through the State Program for the Promotion of Talent and its Employability of the State Plan for Scientific and Technical Research and Innovation, with financing for recruitment for training of doctors in companies.
The contracted researcher, Jose Francisco Lima Barbero, after defending his doctoral thesis, already carries his doctorate from the UCLM, with the congratulations of the entire Sabiotec team for their efforts, which can be seen in the following presentations and articles:
- Identification of vaccine candidates for the control of Dermanyssus Gallinae: a one health issue
Challenges for the Control of Poultry Red Mite (Dermanyssus gallinae) Libro: Parasitology and Microbiology Research
- A vaccinology approach to the identification and characterization of Dermanyssus gallinae candidate protective antigens for the control of poultry red mite infestations. Vaccines, volume 7, nº 4, pág. 190
- Reduction in Oviposition of poultry red mite (Dermanyssus gallinae) in hens vaccinated with recombinant Akirin. Vaccines volume 7, nº 3, pag 121
- Metaproteomics characterization of the alphaproteobacteria microbiome in different developmental and feeding stages of the poultry red mite Dermanyssus gallinae (De Geer, 1778). Avian Pathology, volumen 48, sup1; S52-S59
- Clinical gamasoidosis and antibody response in two patients infested with Ornithonyssus bursa (Acari: Gamasida: Macronyssidae). Experimental and Applied Acarology, volumen 78, nº 4, pga: 555-564
- Evaluation of vaccine delivery systems for inducing long-lived antibody responses to Dermanyssus gallinae antigen in laying hens. Avian Pathology, volume 48, nº sup1, pag.s60-s74
- Linking morphological and molecular taxonomy for the identification of poultry house, soil, and nest dwelling mites in the Western Palearctic. Scientific reports, volumen 9, nº 1, pag 1-8
- Control del Ácaro Rojo: problemática y nuevas soluciones. Revista alimentaria